Happy New Year, and welcome to the month of quick fixes for all of your problems. If you subscribe to all of the advertisements for quick fixes this week, you can be cured by Valentines day to begin indulging again for 2019. We are all looking for the magic bullet to turn back the clock even if just a little. For just $7 a month you can get fitter, skinnier, sleep better, live longer and happier, and qualify for the Boston Marathon. Choosing health and health span is more of a marathon than a sprint. But you have to start somewhere so hear are a few tips that will only cost you effort to get your health training started.
- Clear the clutter now. Don’t eat your way through the holiday leftovers, clear them out now with the tree. No need to dig the hole any deeper.
- Make your goals specific. I want to get healthier in 2019 is not specific. Do you want to get off of medications? Run a 5K? Get off of the floor without using your hands? Eat plant based with the side effect of loosing weight? Decrease your risk of lifestyle diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, heart disease and cancer?
- You need a training plan to attain the above goals. A calendar is a great thing to track your progress and write out your goals. There are 12 months in a year. On the top of each month write down the goals. Then devise a week by week schedule of what is needed to achieve those goals. Fill in each day with a summary of what you have accomplished.
- Remember everyday counts. Skipping leads to straying that will ultimately get you losses and displaced from your goals. As they say there are no dress rehearsals for life. Today s a great day with 24 hours to make a difference. It is not over until the lights go out.
- Know your why and look at your goals everyday. Start small. If you want to run a 5k, going out and running as fast as you can and as long as you can will probably lead to injury and soreness that will sideline you quickly. You want to eat plant based. Start by counting your servings of fruits and vegetables. Set a goal of one more than you were doing each day. Do that for 2-3 weeks straight and then add onto it. Run 15 seconds after walking for 5 minutes and commit to a mile total each day.
- Get a buddy or an accountability partner. They could have 2 legs or 4. Having a four legged friend to walk is a great way to keep both of you healthy. Telling a friend your weekly goals will motivate you to stay the course. Joining an exercise group adds a social commitment as well. Don’t be the one that is late or no shows.
- Listen to like minded podcasts or watch a video or documentary supporting your goals. Your “friends” will want to hold the reigns of change so that you don’t leave them to their poor health alone. Arming yourself with knowledge is the best way to help yourself and your friends.
- Find a positive in each day. You are alive and the sun came up. Now you can find another one.
- Breath. We all can do this better. Breath through your nose. That is what it was designed for. It has cilia that filters the air and stimulates the diaphragm to move properly. Your mouth is for eating so don’t let the bugs enter in as well.
- Move your body. Make an assessment of what is working and what is not. Our muscles, bones, and fascia have to be moved in order to stay functional. Move differently than you did yesterday. The same old movements gets your body off balance. Mix it up and have fun.
I would like to wish everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year. I would love to help your attain your goals and improve your health. Give me an email if you are ready for the challenge of a healthy meaningful life.