After reading Dr. Dulaney’s blog post on Gut Microbiome, you may be wondering how you can create a healthy gut for yourself. Eating fermented foods to help with your own personal collection of healthy gut bacteria is a great way to get started! Try this simple, at home sauerkraut recipe.
- Cabbage, finely chopped (pictured here is a mix of red and white cabbage)
- Fill a jar with your chopped cabbage, then cover with water
- Add 1 tsp of sea salt
- Take a large cabbage leaf and put on top of the chopped cabbage
- Close your lid, and leave on your counter for 7-10 days.
- Release the pressure in the jar every day by taking the lid off and then placing it back on
- After the 7-10 day period, place your sauerkraut in your refrigerator. You can then also add seasonings of your choice such as Jalapeño pepper, peppercorns, or leave as is.